Friday, August 8, 2008

Hot Changes

Well, we have been in Texas for a week. It has been hot. (Not just SD hot, but sweat-dripping cannot breathe outside HOT) Inside is not just more comfortable but absolutely necessary for survival. It is hard to understand how outside work can possibly be accomplished.
Dianna and Carrie and I went shopping at IKEA in Austin; we outfitted her apartment with kitchen necessities like dishes, glasses, silverware, pots and pans, hot pads, teapot, cups, colorful napkins. We also bought a modernistic desk and end table. My rule about desks is that the user should be able to spread material out and comfortably lean on it. Her desk really fits that quite nicely. The lamps we bought also provide adequate light, so eye problems will not be an issue. It was absolutely wonderful to be in that store. Carrie provided such leadership and explanation that we really could stay focused. I am so glad that we do not have an IKEA close to Sioux Falls. It would totally addicting. The bed had been ordered from JCPenney and arrived on time. Dianna and Larry put it together. The mattress was acquired from Sam’s club and appeared to be quite comfortable. Her bedroom is on the second floor and will provide adequate privacy for study and sleep. Target was also a stop for the bookshelves that she picked out in Sioux Falls. A nice young man retrieved what she wanted from the warehouse and off we went to find finishing touches like her favorite picture of Audrey Hepburn. Pictures are not necessary and walls be walls without them, but the soul requires them. Another trip to Target retrieved a blue bike for Dianna to transverse the campus. Finally, she is mostly settled.
Marc and Carrie have been so pleasant to get reacquainted with. They really know their town. They love each other dearly and are quite giving. Their cat Oscar was well worth the whole drive. He has a distinctive and loving personality and is so responsive to loving pats, words, tickles, and rubs. If he could talk, he would be a wonderful conversationalist. He is definitely a unique addition to their home. The new apartment is larger and really has the features that both of them need. They do sacrifice especially in the area of cable TV. I can tell that both of them miss it. They are generous in providing food and are quite relaxing to be with.
One of my favorite places has been the book store. I could wander around it for days at a time. The first time I took Dianna to get her books. She had been carefully collecting some at home but still had to buy a few. While there, I also found a scarf and a notebook for myself. The second time I brought Marc. He needed books for four classes, but we only bought for three because he has friends through which he can obtain some of his books. He was suggesting to me books that I might find interesting. They appeared quite deep and philosophical concerning those of the world who suffer greatly to just exist. It brings me into that place of thought that reminds me how fortunate I am. I have two exceptional children who through their own grit and determination and talent have ended up at a school that I could not even dream about. They both are so intelligent and seek to apply it for others. I must always fully appreciate them for the people that they have become. I do have a third child who is not intellectually gifted like his siblings, but he is one of the best teachers I know. He teaches me constantly about communication, appreciation, and sheer enjoyment. He has achieved so much more that I ever hoped. He really has tried to teach me to avoid his petty quirks. He has compulsive disorders which are better left alone than corrected. He loves to hug and smile. The lessons about life that he teaches to me each day are invaluable.
Leaving. It may be easier this time because Marc and Carrie are established and will be able to be a help to Dianna. My heart truly aches for not having them close enough for daily contact because they are all so interesting. Being a parent means creating a being that can and will go a separate path. We are bonded but yet separated. It is as it should be.

No comments: