Monday, April 7, 2008

Second Thoughts

Dianna always did have fire. I know the Republican ideal has been trounced of late by members of both parties. It does deserve some of the trouncing. McCain is a very liberal Republican who is now leading the party into a fray that probably will not be won. It is difficult to be truly Conservative when the platform of the party has been shaken for so many years and so many reasons. I cannot believe in abortion; sometime when she is older, I will explain to her why. I cannot believe in wholesale governmental spending for programs to save people at the cost of their dignity, conscience, and pride. I cannot believe in pork barrel politics such as Murtha purports. I cannot believe in wholesale immigration without laws or rules. I cannot believe in attitudes to let people be anything they seem to want to be in a sexual vein. Even the vocal leaders of late have set aside what true Conservatism may be all about. It believes in the dignity of people who work hard, have solid beliefs, and usually have faith in a strong God. The party will be rattled to its bones this year and probably deserves it.
My daughter has been raised to do what is right, to follow her conscience, and to express herself intelligently. We did a good job. Her choices seem to be well thought out and supported. She is obviously her own person. Bravo.
This has been the culmination of a tough weekend for me. I definitely worked hard on my 112 class and made it perfect. The new program will not let me save any of my assignment list entries for my 111 class. I came up with an alternative which works for one day. I do not know whether to start my 080 class because I do not want to be more disappointed. I feel that I am having another bad start on a quarter that I sorely needed success. I feel like just going home; but I have office hours right now.
Well, I had best get back to work.

1 comment:

Dianna said...

And you appear to be using your office hours to blog - bravo! You have now become an official 'blogger.'

In some respects I am still a true conservative - I don't believe in throwing money at the Africa problem, but I also don't believe in allowing third world countries to go into debt around you, which seems to be the implicit action of the conservative side. I also will never be able to call myself Pro-Choice simply because I have a belief in the sanctity of life which extends from the beginning to end. But I fail to see abortion as big of an issue as most political parties have made it. And I think I understand why it's such a big issue for you (MJ, right?). We've discussed that in the past.

Mom, I believe in you as a teacher. I know sometimes it doesn't seem that you're reaching your students, but I think that with perseverance, you'll get there. You'll teach them some new way of thinking about writing, and they won't even realize it until years later. From student to teacher: the result doesn't always appear right away. ;)

I'm glad you're blogging regularly. I look forward to seeing more of your writing - it didn't occur to me until you started doing this that I never get to read what you write. I'm glad for this chance. Love you!
-D