Friday, April 4, 2008

First Ideas

I can read. That very skill often fills my soul and yet often makes it feel empty. I read Dr. Dyer’s blog about community. I have established a little family-only three children and mom and dad. It has been the best thing in life that I have ever done. This is not to imply that I have ever done it alone. My little family gained one and lost two when Marc got married and then a year later left for Texas. In three months Dianna will be lost to the great and wonderful idea of graduate school in Texas. Her reuniting is my separation. I thought I was fine with this until MJ moving to an apartment came to the forefront. He is an innocent of life. By innocent I mean one who takes people for what is on the surface. He cannot tell when people are telling lies and being untrustworthy. Thus comes the idea of community from Dr. Dyer’s blog. The community understands and even accepts the liar and the untrustworthy so long as they are consistently so. It is the fluctuation that they seemingly cannot accept. Consistency is easier to cope with or to accept. Then one can count on that person. MJ cannot make that judgment; he cannot tell when he is taken advantage of. He feels hurt when being called names or being left out. He cannot, however, manage one of the saving graces of life-to see and understand that which must be seen and understood. When advantage is out there to take, there are those who will snatch it up and use it for their own gain. He has met people like this before, but his protective shields have been there to step in and make decisions. Now we won’t be there. Will he eventually learn it which like all learning of this type comes with hard lessons and tears? Even if the hard lessons present themselves, how do we know that he will learn the appropriate lessons? He is not even capable of that complicated mental and emotional capacity of self analysis when combined with others who manipulate and use unfairly.

No comments: